Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Reading Period 5: Supplemental Posts / Lessons

1. Watch this video about education in the 16th century: A Renaissance Education: The Schooling of Thomas More’s Daughter, and answer these questions:



1. What was Thomas More’s radical idea about schooling his children?
2. In what country did humanism originate?
3. What special area of study did Margaret More get to learn, which not many children did? (Hint: To teach it, her tutors used the works of Cicero.)
4. Which king had a classical, humanist education and ascended to the throne when he was 17?
5. Give an example of one of the astronomical instruments that Margaret More would have used.
6. What is the origin of the terms “upper case” and “lower case”?
7. English grammar schools were free schools for boys, and they focused on the study of Latin. What were the books called that were used for Latin instruction?
8. Do you agree with the modern schoolboys that translating Latin sentences about poop and lice is a good way to captivate the students’ attention?
9. What were the hours of operation for a Tudor school?
10. Why did the Tudor schoolchildren get beaten?
11. Why did Margaret More not put her own name as the author on her book?
12. Henry VIII broke off from the Catholic Church and started his own English Church because he wanted to get a divorce and the Pope in Rome wouldn’t allow it. He demanded that his subjects an advisors follow him in allegiance to this new church. What did Thomas More choose --  church or king?
13. When Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in England, what happened to most of the grammar schools?
14. What method did the new Protestant English church use for education?
15. Queen Elizabeth used her classical humanist training in rhetoric to give a great speech with the following line. Fill in the blank. “I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a ____.”

Finally, an opinion question: The facts of history reveal that these early grammar schools were dark places full of beatings and repetition. You might be convinced that it was an awful idea, putting kids in school like this. But the film also reveals that these grammar schools were a route to great things, where a commoner could achieve the role of Cardinal, or a regular kid could learn enough about rhetoric to become Shakespeare. What do you think?

2. The literal translation of the Latin title of Thomas More’s Utopia is here: A Truly Golden Little Book, No Less Beneficial Than Entertaining, of the Best State of a Republic, and of the New Island Utopia. What a pain it must have been to fit that all on a book cover! And forget tweeting about it, back on Renaissance Twitter -- you'd use up 140 characters just in the title.

Your challenge is to create an WORSE and LONGER title for this piece of writing, if you can. GO!

3. Your second challenge of the day: Get this song stuck in someone's head. This person must report to me that the song is stuck in his/her head now, and must be irritated:



4. Listen to these three songs inspired by Marlowe's "The Passionate Shepherd to his love. Which most accurately captures the mood of the poem? 

"Come Live With Me" by Ray Charles:

Come Live With Me - Ray Charles

Come live with me
And won't you be my love
Share my bread and wine

Be wife to me
Be life to me
Be mine

Oh, come live with me
And be my love
Let our dreams combine

Be great to me
Be fate to me
Be mine

With these hands
I'll build a roof
To shield your head

Yes, and with these hands
I'll carve the wood
For our baby's bed

Oh, come live with me
And be my love
So I can love you all the time

Be part of me
Girl, be the heart of me
Be mine

Why don't y'all help me now

I'll try to do my best for you
I swear, I promise you
And girl, didn't I tell you

I'll cry for you
Don't you know
I will accompany you
I say my whole life through

Oh, come live with me
And won't you be my love
Hey, hey, share my bread and wine

Be part of me
Oh, be the heart of me, baby
Please be mine

"Come Live With Me" from Valley of the Dolls

Valley Of The Dolls - Come Live With Me (vocal: Tony Scotti)

Come live with me
and be my love,
if only for a day.
Come live with me
and see my love,
how fast it fades away.

Love is a flower
that lives for an hour
then withers and dies.
Where is the prize?
Forgive me,
if I deride love,
but, darling, I tried love.
And so I say

Come live with me
for just a while.
Who cares if love is lost,
if love is brief as a song?

Darling, I never
would want you forever to stay.
But, darling, if you could love me,
Come live with me
just for today.

"Live With Me" by The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones - LIVE WITH ME

I got nasty habits, I take tea at three
The meat I eat for dinner must be hung up for a week
My best friend, he shoots water rats and feeds them to his geese
Don't you think there's a place for you in between the sheets?

Come on now, baby
We can build a home for three
Come on now, baby
Don't you wanna live with me?

A score of harebrained children they're locked in the nursery
They got earphone heads they got dirty necks they're so 20th century
They queue up for the bathroom 'round about 7:35
Don't you think we need a woman's touch to make it come alive?

You'd look good pram
Pushing down the high street
Come on now, honey
Don't you wanna live with me?

The servants they're so helpless now, the cook she is a whore
The butler has a place for her behind the pantry door
The maid, she's French, she's got no sense, she's found a crazy horse
And when she strips, the chauffeur flips, the footman's eyes get crossed

And don't you think there's a place for us
Right across the street
Don't you think there's a place for you
In between the sheets?

Yeah, come on now, baby
We can build a home for three
Come on now, baby
Don't you wanna live with me

5. Translate the following: Carpe Diem and Tempus Fugit. Which of these Latin phrases would you put with “Passionate Shepherd” and which would you put with “Nymph’s Reply”? 

6. Edmund Spenser wrote a letter to Sir Walter Raleigh defending and explaining his poem, The Faerie Queene, which was meant as an allegory to glorify Queen Elizabeth. Here’s the beginning of it. Do your best to paraphrase what he is saying here, as briefly as you can:  


Sir knowing how doubtfully all Allegories may be construed, and this booke of mine, which I have entituled the Faery Queene, being a continued Allegory, or darke conceit, I haue thought good aswell for auoyding of gealous opinions and misco[n]structions, as also for your better light in reading thereof, (being so by you commanded) to discouer vnto you the general intention and meaning, which in the whole course thereof I haue fashioned, without expressing of any particular purposes or by accidents therein occasioned. The generall end therefore of all the booke is to fashion a gentleman or noble person in vertuous and gentle discipline: Which for that I conceiued shoulde be most plausible and pleasing, being coloured with an historicall fiction, the which the most part of men delight to read, rather for variety of matter, then for profite of the ensample: I chose the historye of king Arthure, as most fitte for the excellency of his person being made famous by many mens former workes, and also furthest from the daunger of enuy, and suspition of present time. In which I haue followed all the antique Poets historicall, first Homere, who in the Persons of Agamemnon and Vlysses hath ensampled a good gouernour and a vertuous man, the one in his Ilias, the other in his Odysseis: then Virgil, whose like intention was to doe in the person of Aeneas: after him Ariosto comprised them both in his Orlando: and lately Tasso disseuered them againe, and formed both parts in two persons, namely that part which they in Philosophy call Ethice, or vertues of a priuate man, coloured in his Rinaldo: The other named Politice in his Godfredo. By ensample of which excellente Poets, I labour to pourtraict in Arthure, before he was king, the image of a braue knight, perfected in the twelue morall vertues, as Aristotle hath deuised, the which is the purpose of these first twelue bookes: which if I finde to be well accepted, I may be perhaps encoraged, to frame the other part of polliticke vertues in his person, after that hee came to be king. To some I know this Methode will seeme displeasaunt, which had rather haue good discipline deliuered plainly in way of precepts, or sermoned at large, as they vse, then thus clowdily enrapped in Allegoricall deuises. But such, me seeme, should be satisfide with the vse of these dayes seeing all things accounted by their showes, and nothing esteemed of, that is not delightfull and pleasing to commune sence.
7. We learn in the textbook (p 154) that Edmund Spenser was paid 50 pounds a year by Queen Elizabeth, to write poetry. This equates to roughly $20,000 per year in modern money. The Poet Laureate of the United States of America, currently, is paid $35,000/year plus $5000 travel expenses. Years ago, this was enough to live on, but the salary has not increased over time, and now it's really not. Should the official poet of the country be paid more? Should countries have official poets? Is this a worthwhile expense for taxpayers?

8. What aspect of Thomas More's imagined perfect society, Utopia, do you think it would be most difficult to implement?

No comments:

Post a Comment