Wednesday, February 19, 2014
Reading Period 24: February 19-25: Dante Rossetti and Christina Rossetti
In your textbook, 670-671.
Read Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti. Yes, you must read ALL of it.
Listen to this BBC podcast, "In Our Time," featuring a discussion of Christina Rossetti.
Flip through this gallery of Dante Rossetti's artwork at the Tate Gallery.
Read this article at the Metropolitan Museum of Art web site. Who were the Pre-Raphaelites? What did they want, and what did they NOT want? Who did they respect, and who did they disdain? What were the characteristics of their work? Write 250 words about the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, of which Dante Gabriel Rossetti was a founding member, and reference at least one of Rossetti's paintings as an example.
Take a look at the Rossetti archive, which is a product of the NINES project (Networked Infrastructure for Nineteeth Century Electronic Scholarship). Part of this site is devoted to displaying Dante Rossetti's poems along with the pictures that inspire them. Do you think this works well, in electronic form? Were you able to understand the poems better, seeing them in this context? Or was it more difficult to read and navigate the text, hyperlinked and adjacent to the imags? Write 250 words giving your thoughts on using electronic media to display historical objects and texts.
Watch this clip from the BBC show "The Love School," in which Dante Gabriel Rossetti reads a poem he's written to Lizzie Siddal. Write a poem, using the same rhyme scheme as Rossetti's poem "Silent Noon," on page 670, in which you describe something or someone you find beautiful.
To complete this quiz, you may need to also do some research online. Take a look at Dante Rossetti's Wikipedia page and Christina Rossetti's Wikipedia page.
1. Dante Rossetti was not only a poet, he was also a ___________.
2. In what ways did Dante Rossetti's two art forms intersect and overlap?
3. What "brotherhood" did Dante Rossetti found and what was the significance of the name?
4. How did Dante Rossetti meet his wife and what was her name? Why has she been called the original supermodel?
5. What dramatic act did Dante Rossetti engage in when his wife died, that he later took back?
6. What animal was Rossetti particularly fascinated by?
7. Dante Rossetti was addicted to chloral. What is it and how is it administered?
8. Take a look at Dante Rossetti's illustration for Christina Rossetti's poem, Goblin Market: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rossetti-golden_head.jpg) Write down five observations about this illustration.
9. What was the St. Mary Magdalene "house of charity" where Christina Rossetti worked? How did that place possibly inspire her work?
10. What popular Christmas carol did Christina Rossetti write?
Please look at and memorize Christina Rossetti's poem "When I am Dead, My Dearest." Yes it's another cheerful poem from a cheerful Victorian!