Wednesday, February 26, 2014
Reading Period 25: February 26 - March 4: Charles Dickens
In your textbook, pages 685-689.
A Tale of Two Cities, chapter 1.
Great Expectations, chapter 1.
Oliver Twist, chapters 1 and 2.
Watch this video from the musical, Oliver!
George Cruikshank was the illustrator for Oliver Twist. In fact, he caused a controversy by claiming to have also come up with most of the plot. Take a look at some of his drawings for Oliver Twist at this link. Create an illustration in his style of the scene in chapter 2 of Oliver Twist, where Oliver asks for "more."
Read this essay on the serialization of Oliver Twist and other Dickens novels, and write your own 250 word essay comparing the serializing of novels in Victorian times with series of television shows in our lives today, incorporating your own opinions. Would people still read serialized novels? Stephen King published The Green Mile in 1996 and the idea didn't really go anywhere, but now with e-books, the serial novel is making a comeback. On the other hand, people are defying serialization by watching entire series back to back via Netflix, instead of the traditional way, waiting a week for each episode and talking about it in between. What's the future of this form?
Reread chapter 2 of Oliver Twist, paying special attention to the way Dickens uses sarcasm to make his point about Victorian attitudes toward the poor. Write a 250 word stern letter to the board of the workhouse, using sarcasm to critique the workhouse conditions and argue for better treatment of the orphans and elderly.
The quiz is over the material in this biography of Charles Dickens.
1. What was Charles Dickens' first job?
2. Where was the rest of his family living, when Charles was out on his own working at the age of 12?
3. Who were some of Dickens' favorite writers in school?
4. What job did Dickens' skill at shorthand allow him to get?
5. When Dickens first published, he used a pseudonym. What was it?
6. How many children did Charles Dickens have?
7. Who was the editor of Bentley's Miscellany, the magazine where Oliver Twist was published in serial form?
8. How did Dickens feel about America?
9. Name two other periodicals that Dickens edited?
10. What did some of his friends suspect brought on Dickens' death?
If you could create an ice cream flavor for Oliver Twist, what would you put in it and why?